Have an Amazon Alexa device? hear this update by searching “WorldsTechTime” in your flash briefing settings.
- Google signed a affect News Corp. The search firm will make significant payments to display content from outlets like the Wall street Journal and therefore the NY Post on its News Showcase.
- Facebook halted all news sharing in Australia. Facebook blocked Australian users from seeing, sharing and interacting with news on the location while global users aren’t ready to see news shared by Australian news outlets.
- Australia has vowed to pass new media laws. The laws if passed could compel Facebook and Google to pay Australian news outlets for the journalism they produce.
- Amazon reportedly favored big sellers in India. Documents obtained by Reuters indicate a little number of huge sellers account for the majority of the firm’s business there likely fueling claims that Amazon hurts smaller players.
- YouTube’s TikTok rival is headed to the US. YouTube says a test version of Shorts will launch within the US in March after an in depth test in India but hasn’t said when a full rollout might follow.
- The lead figure behind GameStop’s frenzy is being sued. Keith Gill who goes by RoaringKitty on Twitter and YouTube was hit with a securities-fraud lawsuit over his role within the rise of GameStop stock Bloomberg reported on Wednesday.
- Robinhood’s CEO involved regulatory reform. In prepared remarks before a Congressional hearing today Vlad Tenev criticized the rule that needs equities transactions to clear over two days.
- Counseled faces a shutdown. New York Attorney General Letitia James announced she has sued to pack up Coinseed a cryptocurrency-trading app.
- A Mailchimp engineer quit, claiming sexism. Kelly Ellis said during a Twitter thread that she resigned after a conversation about pay went south.
- Exclusive: YouTuber David Debrik is raising funding for his camera app. The app is already eyeing a $100 million valuation for a Series A four months after its seed round.
SEE ALSO “Twitter experiments with voice DMs“.